Raised Panel Garage Doors
The raised panel garage door is the most popular style of a residential door on the market. It’s an exceptional blend of design and performance. The many available creative possibilities and features give you the freedom to find the perfect door to fit the aesthetics of your Long Island home. Nowadays, raised panel garage doors can be customized to include many beneficial qualities such as insulated construction, decorative glass windows, unique colors, trendy hardware, heavy duty weather seals, and advanced-strength-materials.
Types of Panels
To better complement the architectural attributes of your residence, you have the option of long, short, or flushed panels. Long panels add depth and distinction as well as a dramatic element. Short panels, especially with detailed trim can add a Victorian, or Colonial touch. Flush panels are practical and simple. They are often used to enhance the surrounding wall area without taking too much attention away from the rest of the home. Choosing a material is also an important part of designing your new garage door. Different materials are better suited for certain residential locations, budgets, curb appeal, and reflecting personal preference.
Carriage House Garage Doors
For a classic look of elegance, carriage-house doors are the perfect choice. These beautiful doors create the swing out illusion while maintaining the normal upward function. They are characterized by their signature center handles and emanate rustic charm. Gorgeous designs, colors, and window frames make carriage house doors stand out proudly from the rest.
Contemporary Garage Doors
For those seeking a modern day look with trendy and unique style, a contemporary garage door is the perfect fit. These particular doors are normally characterized by their large, tempered glass panels and clear or tinted windows. Aluminum is the primary material used for contemporary garage doors. They can be painted in many unique colors and are known for their sleek, clean lines and accents. These doors are lightweight and great for homes on or near the water. Aluminum doesn’t easily rust or corrode.
Steel Garage Doors
Galvanized steel garage doors are a modern, cost effective alternative to traditional wooden doors. Steel is the most commonly used garage door material and is known for its strength and durability. It’s resistant to warping, rotting, expanding, and cracking. This makes it difficult to damage, easy to clean, and low in maintenance. Steel can be painted in a large variety of unique colors. It’s also available in wood grain texture finishes that mimic the classic elegance of wood. Steel garage doors are offered in single layer, double layer, or triple layer construction to fit any budget. Single layer doors are the least expensive and do not come insulated. Double layer doors are relatively inexpensive and include a 2-inch polystyrene insulation kit as an insulation alternative. Triple layer doors may cost a bit more but are energy efficient and consist of 3 components. Steel raised panels, a polystyrene insulation core, and steel backing. This is also known as sandwich-type construction.
Wooden Garage Doors
Wooden garage doors have timeless appeal. They exhibit the detail of hand-crafted beauty and natural strength. Wood can be painted and stained in an array of colors to enhance the exterior of any home. Stain-grade- wood doors are a bit costly but offer the warmth of natural wood that can make a big difference in the curb appeal of a home. Wood is also a good insulator but higher in maintenance than steel. It regularly needs to be refinished and stained. If not properly maintained, this material can be prone to warping, chipping, and result in costly repairs.
Vinyl Garage Doors
Vinyl garage doors are cost effective, durable, weather resistant, and long lasting. With vinyl, you don’t have to worry about warping, rusting, chipping, and swelling. It’s harder to dent than other materials and is conveniently extremely low maintenance. Whether you live in an area with extreme heat, or cold this material can withstand intense conditions. Unfortunately, vinyl is a poor insulator and once you have chosen a color, it cannot be changed.
Benefits of a New Garage Door
A new garage door offers many benefits. A wide range of standard options are available such as custom window frames, trendy hardware, unique colors, and sturdy materials make it easy to design a door that matches a homeowner’s personal style and the architecture of any residence. Garage doors can be purchased with or without insulation. Insulation helps regulate temperature and keep the elements outside where they belong. The higher the R-value, the better the insulation, comfort, and energy efficiency. It’s also quieter, more durable, and likely to keep your stored valuables safe and secure.
Garage Door Installation
You can significantly improve the appearance and value of your Long Island home with a new garage door installation. Warn out, old garage doors are not only eye sores, but can potentially be hazardous to you and your family. A new installation enhances your home’s security, safety, and energy efficiency. Garage’s are not only the largest moving part of your residence, but also account for 30% of its curb side appeal. Adding a new garage door with custom designs, windows, unique colors, and sturdy materials can be an excellent investment and addition to your home.
The Importance of Proper Insulation
Insulation is a major benefit of a new raised panel garage door installation. Not only does it keep heat in when it’s cold, but it can also help keep the cold in when it’s hot. Temperature regulation increases energy efficiency and saves you your hard-earned money. Air conditioners have become a popular accessory in insulated garages enabling utilization. No longer does your garage have to be just a parking spot, or storage space. More and more homeowners are using their garages for added convenience of having office space, children’s play rooms, studios, lounge areas, etc. Proper insulation will keep elements, pests, and dirt from entering your garage. It also helps keep valuables safe, secure, and less susceptible to damage.
Garage Door Maintenance
Your garage door is an asset to your Long Island home. There are a few things you can do between annual tune-ups to keep your door running smoother, longer.
- Keep the moving parts such as the rollers, cables, pulleys, springs, and tracks lubricated with a garage door grease or white lithium spray.
- Make sure the tracks on either side of your door are free and clear of dirt and debris.
- Use an all-purpose cleaner to keep your door clean.
- Replace your rubber weather stripping if it is damaged to help prevent air infiltration.
- Use a socket wrench to tighten any bolts, nuts, screws, etc. that can become loose over time.
- Check for improper spring balance by manually moving the door half way up to see if it stays on its own. If it does not, it’s time for a new spring.
- Test your door’s photo eye sensors and safety features for proper function.
- Be aware of odd noises and jerking motions. This could be a sign of impending issues.
- Inspect cables for fraying, and wear and tear. Do not try to adjust or fix the high-tension cables on your own without the proper knowledge or experience.
- Keep up with annual inspections and tune-ups performed by a professional
Garage Door Repairs
Over time, your garage door can become susceptible to damage, malfunctions, and natural wear and tear. Weather can wreak havoc on a wooden door causing it to warp, chip, split, rot, and swell. Steel doors have the potential to dent and rust. Vinyl may fade when exposed to harsh weather conditions. Components may malfunction, or simply break. If you notice that your door is not functioning properly, be sure not to ignore it. This could inevitably lead to even more costly repairs or potentially the replacement of your garage door. Most importantly, a broken or door can lead to the injury of you, or your family if not properly addressed. Never attempt to adjust or fix a garage door without the proper knowledge or experience. Call the professionals at Above & Beyond Garage Doors and receive a free estimate.
Garage Door Safety Tips
- Maintenance: Taking some time out to inspect your garage door monthly can help keep it running smoothly and detect impending malfunctions. Annual and quarterly tune-ups are very important and should be handled by the professionals, or someone with experience in garage door service.
- Open Your Garage Door Before Starting Your Car: Carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, and other harmful components are emitted from your car when it's running. Starting your car in your garage while the door is closed can potentially kill you. Always make sure you open your garage door before starting and entering your car.
- Don't Leave Your Garage Door Open: An open garage door is an invitation for intruders and unwanted pests. Garages that are attached to a home can be an easy access point for burglars and wild animals. The safety of your family and home are at risk when you leave your garage door open and unsupervised. It also defeats the purpose of the insulation. Insulation helps with temperature control. It lowers your energy bills throughout the year and saves energy.
- Secure Your Garage's Remote: Garage door remotes can seem like a potential toy to a curious child. Small children could be injured when playing with a garage door remote or exit your home without your knowing. Your garage door remote is also basically, another key to your home. Being aware of where you leave it is important. It should not be left in a car and if it is, it should be kept hidden.
- Be Careful of Potential Injury: Having an efficient garage door system does not completely eliminate the risk of potential injury when opening and closing it. Watch your fingers! If you aren't careful your fingers could get caught in the sections of your garage door. Make sure your children are aware of this and always keep your hands on the handle or away from the door while it's in motion.